+ See all stations
In the heart of the Landes du Médoc, between the Atlantic coast and the Gironde, lies the charming seaside resort of Hourtin. A sporty town, it is possible to practise numerous water sports. Between two sunbathing sessions on its fine sandy beaches, appreciate the diversity of the fauna and flora lining the forest paths of the resort. You can travel through the forest between Hourtin-Plage and Hourtin on the cycle paths that are so popular with visitors. During your stay, you can also discover Bordeaux or the surrounding communes, such as Soulac-sur-Mer.
Your holidays in Hourtin, a family resort on the Côte d’Argent.
Between the Gironde estuary, the Atlantic coastline and the Landes forest, in the heart of one of the largest nature reserves in France, Hourtin has a lot to offer, starting with an exceptional natural environment that will make you enjoy a holiday in the open air. You can enjoy its generous nature: the large sandy beach of Hourtin, several kilometres long, the clear water of its large lake and its supervised beaches, its forest with its rich biodiversity and its dunes. The region is also one of the few places where it is possible to observe and surf on mascarets, spectacular natural phenomena (long breaking waves).
But that's not all! In addition to its remarkable setting, the seaside resort has been awarded the "Family Plus" label and offers infrastructures and activities dedicated to the youngest, guaranteeing an excellent stay for families. In particular, you and your children can take advantage of the children's island, an entirely pedestrian island which has everything necessary for the happiness of young adventurers: life-size wooden castle, playground, inflatable play structures, Splash Park etc.
Many activities await you and will delight all holidaymaker profiles, especially as the commune regularly organises festive and sporting events. Lovers of wide open spaces, sports and outdoor activities enthusiasts and lovers of good wines will be delighted with their stay, during which they will be able to take advantage of the charming assets of the seaside resort, which are the beaches, the lake, the vineyards and famous châteaux of the Médoc and its proximity to the surrounding towns; Bordeaux, Royan, Soulac-sur-Mer...
On foot, by bike or on horseback, on the footpaths, the cycle tracks or along the beach, it's up to you to choose your way to spend an unforgettable holiday in Hourtin!
Activities in Hourtin :
- The lake of Hourtin and Carcans :At the second largest freshwater lake in France, choose your activities to spend a good day with family or friends! You will enjoy swimming at the supervised beach of Piqueyrot where the water is warmer than the ocean, but also practice many water activities (stand up paddle, kitesurfing, sailing, pedal boat, canoe ...), enjoy fishing or boat trips to discover the wild coast of the lake.
- The nature Reserve of the dunes and Marshes of Hourtin :Take a walk in a 2150 hectare territory sheltering a magnificent nature as well as a diversified fauna and flora. The reserve gathers the landscapes of the sandy coast of Aquitaine with beaches, dunes, marshes, lake, pine and holm oak forests... You will also find the Contaut lagoon, one of the most beautiful places to discover, on a footbridge over the marshes allowing you to observe surprising species...
- Heritage of buildings :Discover the lighthouses of the Médoc Atlantique including the unmissable Cordouan lighthouse less than 50 km away and the lighthouses of Hourtin, the famous Médoc vineyards and châteaux with wine tasting (including that of Peyrabon 20 km away) and the museums, in Hourtin with the Museum "Regards sur le passé" but also in Soulac-sur-Mer with the Contemporary Art and Remembrance museums. Many cultural and guided visits are possible!
- Water sports : Hourtin is a surfer's paradise with excellent surf spots and a sometimes quiet, sometimes wild ocean. Lessons and rentals are available so give it a try! However there are many other possibilities, at Hourtin-Plage or on the lake: water skiing, flyway, sailing, kitesurfing, stand up paddle, pedal boat, canoeing, fishing, swimming...
- Surrounding towns : Don't miss visiting Bordeaux (1h15 away), the pearl of Aquitaine and classified as a Unesco World Heritage site, but also Lacanau (35 km), Carcans (18 km), Soulac-sur-Mer (45 km)...
- And many more : Day trip and picnic on the children's island, Splash Park, horse riding, cycle touring (a network of superb cycle tracks of around 100 km)...
Events to remember in Hourtin :
- Market in Hourtin-Ville, all year round on Thursday mornings, and on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday in July and August:Stroll through the market and find local produce, fruit and vegetables, delicatessen, cheese, handicrafts, jewellery, clothes...
- Night market in Hourtin-Plage, on Monday evenings:On the beach, enjoy a friendly night market and taste the products on site at sunset!
- Bambino Party, in june:Great festival of the region for children from 3 months to 12 years old, at the Ile aux enfants in Hourtin! Free for parents, only 1€ (per day and per child) to benefit from all the attractions in unlimited... More than 40 animations and attractions of which the tyrolienne, the Spider Jump, climbing wall, water games, kart, inflatable structures etc.
- Show Bike Aquitaine, in june :One of the most important motorcycle gatherings in the South-West at Vendays-Montalivet (20 km), you can admire the traditional parade of motorcycles and hear their engines roar!
- Soulac 1900, the first weekend of June:A not-to-be-missed event in Soulac-sur-Mer where the seaside resort returns to the good old days: costumes, old-fashioned market, street entertainment and performances of all kinds...
- The lake festival in Carcans, the last sunday of July:Animations and different musical atmospheres in the streets all day long, dance floor in the evening and magnificent fireworks.
- The sea festival, around the 15th august:Typical events of the coastal resorts of the Côte d'Argent, these celebrations are a moment of recollection in homage to those lost at sea. Mass in the open air in front of the ocean, wreath laying and flowers with music groups, numerous events and dancing.
- Caraïbos Lacanau Pro, in august:Surfing festival and highlight of the resort of Lacanau, this event is a popular stage of the Championship Tour. During 1 week, admire professional surfers, take part in incredible activities accessible to all, concerts... The show lasts all day, even in the evening!
And many others to discover... For more information, go to our Good tips tab or to the Hourtin Tourist Office.
Leisure and shops in Hourtin :
Finally, you will find all the shops you need for your comfort on site as well as a variety of restaurants!
By train: SNCF train station of Bordeaux (Paris TGV direct) then Lesparre Médoc station 20km away.
By road: From PARIS, take the A10 motorway in the direction of BORDEAUX, then take the bypass and exit 7 or 8 in the Verdon direction. Follow the Lacanau direction, Carcans and Hourtin Ville (approx. 24km from Lacanau). In Hourtin, take the Hourtin Plage direction, at the 1st roundabout take a right, then continue straight on for approximately 8km. The campsite is on the right 300m from the beach. Upon reaching the A10 and taking the ferry in Royan, take the Saintes exit and follow the Nationale. The ferry is very well signposted. At the exit, take the Soulac direction, Montalivet, Vendays then Hourtin.
GPS COORDINATES :
longitude: -1.055969 Latitude: 45.210168
Our local partners are committed to your holidays
All our commitments to have a good holiday
Pay securely at Goélia