Your holidays in Ammerschwihr, a charming wine village on the Alsace Wine Route!
Explore Ammerschwihr, a typical Alsatian village in the Haut-Rhin department. Nestled between the vineyards of famous wine estates (not far from forty!) and the Vosges forest, Ammerschwihr is located on the Alsace Route des Vins 7 km above Colmar. Calm and flowery, the city has won several awards in the national competition for Flower Towns and Villages.
Particularly famous for its great wines and in particular its Grand Cru Classé in 2007, the Kaefferkopf, this charming village has many arguments to make you spend great holidays: a rich historical heritage (occupied from Roman times and home to historic monuments), breathtaking landscapes, more than 1150 hectares of mountain forests for hikes in the heart of nature, excellent sunshine, beautiful alleys and typical residences which remain despite the destruction of the city in 1945 and finally, the only mountain golf course in Alsace, in the heart of the valley.
On the other hand, Alsace is very popular for its Christmas markets. In winter in Ammerschwihr, from the end of November to the end of December, you will be ideally situated to come and discover traditional Christmas markets of Kaysersberg, Eguisheim, Riquewihr and Colmar, all four located within 10 km, and Bergheim ( 14.5 km) and Strasbourg (75 km). Very famous in Alsace and in France, these markets will give you magical moments in the illuminated and decorated alleys, with the scent of mulled wine, cinnamon and gingerbread ...
So whether you are a lover of history, sport or nature, or simply want to spend a relaxing stay in an idyllic environment, you will enjoy being in Ammerschwihr!
To do, to see :
- Historical monuments: the city is full of remarkable monuments to see. Take time to visit the Saint-Martin Church (1564), the Saint-Wendelin Chapels (13th century), Saint-Eloi (1535) and Notre-Dame-des-Trois-Epis (1493), the remains of the old town hall (1552), the Tour des Bourgeois or Bürgerturm (1535), the Tour des Cigognes or Obertor (13th century), the Tour des Fripons (1608), Schelmenturm, the remains of the old Meywihr Castle, etc.
- Hiking or cycling: the station offers many marked trails for hikes as well as cycle paths. You can discover the region by taking one of the many circuits which will offer incredible panoramas, between summits and mountain lakes, on the vineyard, the surrounding plain and the Black Forest.
- Golf d'Ammerschwihr Trois-Epis: in an exceptional setting in the heart of the Wine Route, between vineyards and forest, you will find an 18-hole golf course, the only mountain golf course in Alsace. Open every day, it offers a wide variety of game situations in a hilly course for beginners and experienced players.
- Surrounding villages and roads: set off to explore cellars, picturesque villages, castles, remains and other surprises, along the Alsace Wine Route and its 103 villages. Another possibility is the Route des Crêtes, a complete circuit mixing tourism and the joys of hiking (Regional Natural Park of Ballons des Vosges…). Be sure to visit the nearby villages that are among the most beautiful in Alsace: Riquewihr (8 km), Kaysersberg (2.5 km), Niedermorschwihr (6 km), Turckheim (7 km), Ribeauville (8 km), Eguisheim (9 km) and of course Colmar, less than 10 km.
- And many others: the Montagne des Singes in Kintzheim (200 Barbary macaques living freely in the forest, 27 km), the Volerie des Aigles in the ruins of Kintzheim Castle 10 km away, the Butterfly Park and Storks in Hunawihr at 16 km, the Haut-Koeningsbourg Castle at 33 km and for city enthusiasts, Strasbourg at 75 km. For families: discovery of the wine-growing city by solving an enigma with the roadmap of the fun ride…
Events to remember:
- Wine and gastronomy fair: the second weekend in March - gastronomic meals and tastings, the perfect opportunity to feast and taste French and world wines!
- Wine Fair: the last weekend of April
- Flea market: Whit Sunday
- Picnic at the winemakers: Whit Monday
- Kaefferkopf Gourmet Market: end of June - 9 km course accessible to all, punctuated by 7 gourmet stages: aperitif, starter, wine tasting, main course, wine tasting, cheese and dessert
- Les Estivales: Thursday evenings in July and August - meet local producers and winegrowers in the village, catering and musical entertainment
- Advent lights: the last weekend of November - attend the Christmas market in Ammerschwihr. You will find handcrafted creations, handmade Advent wreaths, bredelas, Christmas jams… A Christmas tale will be told, a lantern ride will be organized and on Sunday, Saint Nicolas will be passing by to distribute sweets.
And many more to discover ... Visit our "Best deal" tab or at the Ammerschwihr tourist office for more information.
Leisure and shops:
You will have leisure activities at Ammerschwihr to relax between two walks or visits: golf, tennis, helicopter flight over Alsace (6 km), visit of Colmar by tourist train… You can also take advantage of the indoor heated swimming pool and the sauna in our residence.
And for shops and restaurants, you will find a nice variety on site: restaurants and gourmet restaurants, bakeries, pastries, general food, tobacco, hairdressing salon, etc.